August 2021 will be remembered in our home as the month that Dad moved to a different shift at work.
Spoiler: It didn’t agree with him, and he’s now back on his regular evening/night shift.
It was fun and different, though, and if there had been less workplace shenanigans involved, it might have been a good fit… eventually.
Things that were definitely on the positive side of the equation (from my point of view):
- Not having to worry about waking Dad up in the mornings (because he left for work at 3:00am)
- Choosing my daily outfit in the morning instead of the night before
- Having Dad home for dinner and bedtime every night (not just on his days off)
- Saturday morning garage sales!
- Grocery shopping before lunch on Sundays instead of in the afternoon
There were an abundance of downsides, though, not the least of which being that Dad was basically jet-lagged for a few weeks in a row.
I think everyone involved will be glad for our routine to return to normal… including the next guy in line for the job.